Monday, 9 January 2017

To Art or Not to Art

Dear All,

Vincent Van Gogh | The Night Cafe In Arles (1888)
Here marks my second post of the year, and what a start it has been - already a week in...and my first art project is drawing to a close. At times like this it's sometimes hard to realise the fine line between quantity and quality.

Often, especially during the holidays, I ask myself whether I'm actually doing enough, whether I'm using my time effectively, but know this - true great artwork will only be created out of love and passion. Even if it be a rough 5 minute sketch or a few hours put the same effort and quality into your work throughout.

Image result for rembrandt self portrait
Self-Portrait with Beret and
Turned-Up Collar (1659) |
Rembrandt van Rijn
Like many, I often get down in the dumps, doubting my art and my capabilities but remember, art is subjective! To me, art is something that asks a burning question or ignites an inquisitive flame, when I like a piece of art it is because it makes me look twice, it makes me want to read deeper into it and relish in its complex and sometimes utterly simplistic nature- this can happen with any piece of art be it good or bad.

So that is why I encourage everyone to take their surroundings and decorate them gloriously, make them saturated in art and anything to everything you like. Submerging yourself in a room plastered with watercolours and bold dashes of paint will help inspire you and keep the artistic creative mood going.


The truest injustice an artist can do is to stop working, painting, creating, thinking and feeling.



Chloe x

No comments:

Post a Comment